Manager, R&D and Materials Engineering
Our partner is a globally recognized infection prevention company and leader in wet wipes manufacturing. They have been around for over 60 years and have partnerships with most leading consumer brands and pharmaceutical companies. They have over 3,000 employees and 7 locations across the US and Europe. Financially stable, strong culture, and engaged leadership. This is an exciting opportunity to join a leader in non-woven industry.
The primary role of the Research & Development Manager, Materials Engineering, is to actively lead a team in support of product development process and pipeline focused on materials science and nonwovens. She/He will work closely with colleagues to lead and be responsible for individuals and R&D projects related to materials engineering, nonwovens, and development as well as technology transfer and commercialization within this discipline.
The Manager, Research & Development Materials Engineering, will interact with Project Management as well as other cross-functional team members from across the organization, ensuring strong connectivity, providing leadership and technical guidance. Finally, She/He will foster and develop a team of direct reports to exceed the expectations on core competencies, bench strength, and customer connectivity.
- Leads a high performing technical team of associates
- Provides oversight and direction for individuals and teams responsible for: creating and executing R&D programs and initiatives
- Provide leadership and management capacity in identifying and leveraging external suppliers and innovation partners to advance materials and nonwoven technology and applications
- Provides leadership and oversight on technical support as well as direction to activities for R&D projects, initiatives, and compliance
- Direct knowledge and experience in EPA, FPLA, FDA, GMP, GDP, and OTC processes and maintenance
- Drive for in-depth knowledge and capabilities in materials engineering and nonwovens development, product development, process development, and supporting GMP supply plans; developing and documenting the data needed for regulatory filings; and managing projects/products maintenance
- Leads, develops, and provides input to program strategies, budgets, timelines, and project/product development plans. Ensures that technical and business requirements are managed and met
- Acts as subject matter expert for research and development in support of regulatory, quality, and customer relations
- Participates and supports in due diligence assessments and may serve as the department’s direct interface with external partners, with responsibility for risk assessment, financial and strategic planning, and project guidance responsibilities to protect the Company’s interests and resource investments
- Leads the benchmarking of nonwovens products (competitive and internal)
- Leads the development and commercialize new nonwovens and test methods with a focus on product categories and hybrid materials
- Effectively communicate with and motivate the matrix of resources within and outside of the R&D team required to advance initiatives successfully through the new product development process
- Builds and maintains strong working relationships with relevant internal and external partner groups (including Microbiology, Analytical Chemistry, Marketing, Manufacturing Operations, Regulatory, Clinical Affairs, and Quality, as well as external testing partners), ensuring that activities are managed collaboratively, efficiently, and effectively with direction from senior leadership
- Resolves project / functional conflicts and identifies and negotiate cross functional tradeoffs
- Acts as an internal and external Product Champion
Leadership and Management:
- Reinforces culture and values and drives change to increase alignment across the business
- Identifies departmental needs and assists with recruits/hires/promotes personnel as appropriate
- Develops staff through coaching, training, career pathing and development. Builds high performance teams
- Guides team in successful and efficient execution of department/area goals and continued strategic capability development/improvement
- Manages a group of 3+ direct reports
Project and Portfolio Management:
- Operates effectively in a multi-tasking, cross-functional environment
- Develops appropriately proactive resource plans and utilizes staff and other resources effectively to meet business needs. Uses appropriate tools to regularly review, measure, modify, and adjust plans and to monitor the efficiency, effectiveness, and balance of resources and budget according to evolving needs and environment
- Guides internal/external debate and discussions at high levels and focuses constituents on resolution around strategic and tactical decision making
- Models’ good decision-making practices and assesses and rewards behaviors consistent with good decision-making practices
- Displays strong analytical and strategic thinking skills
- Minimum BS degree in Chemistry, Engineering, or related scientific discipline required
- New Product development and leadership in a regulated environment. Fundamental understanding of nonwovens, nonwovens manufacturing processes and the supply chain
- 8+ years of relevant experience in nonwovens and material science as it relates to product development and R&D support, with a demonstrated track record of scientific and leadership responsibilities
- Previous experience relating to Wipes / Nonwovens required. Excellent communication, interpersonal and project management skills to collaborate on and direct the work of others on assigned projects (including both internal teams and external collaborators)
- Sound knowledge of related aspects of research, development, and commercialization processes
- Established knowledge of applicable product development regulatory standards
- Has a mastery of the scientific/technical concepts and techniques, applies and furthers those concepts and techniques to resolve scientific/technical issues efficiently and effectively
All Candidates must be able to provide work related references.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com
Rush & Company is a full service Executive Search Firm that specializes in the Soft Goods industry.
Included in this industry are the apparel, home furnishings and industrial markets. We work in the fiber, fabric and fashion industry with clients and candidates located all over the world.
All candidates must be able to provide work related references.
If you're a candidate and would like to submit your confidential resume, please use firstname.lastname@example.org. We will contact you if your qualifications match any of our current job searches.