Product Development Manager, Occasional Furniture
This leading retailer has a strong Brick & Mortar business as well as Dot Com business. They continue to grow in a challenging environment. They offer a competitive salary and bonus along with room for advancement. Full benefits and strong relocation package.
As the Product Manager, you will be responsible for managing the development process from onset of concept through delivery to stores. The focus of the position is to enhance and execute the buyer’s objectives for proprietary product by sourcing both domestically and internationally. Primary functions include managing the time and action calendar to completion as well as ensuring the best and most profitable costs for each development program.
• Manage product time and action calendar from strategy kickoff through product delivery to stores/web. Ensure all deliverables are met and responsible parties held accountable, and manage by exception
• Be the expert in product costing with a thorough understanding of cost analysis from raw material knowledge, currency fluctuation, and product spec standpoint to secure the best IMU achievable
• Ensure the quality of all private label development product is paramount at all times. Work with suppliers closely on quality control standards and proactively troubleshoot issues during the development phase. Enact exacting standards and ensure rigorous inspections and approvals are consistently followed throughout the development and production process
• Based on buyer’s development objectives, source product with strong factory/vendor partnerships in order to achieve product detail parameters and target ideal cost/markup
• Manage vendor allocation while sourcing each program. Maintain an in-depth knowledge of international factories and domestic vendors to ensure the right suppliers are being tasked with the right projects
• Run regularly scheduled touchbase with buyer(s) to update on status and development progress as well as findings on new opportunities
• Conduct competitive market analysis in order to manage price and product features position in the marketplace
• Travel internationally and domestically to meet with suppliers and work through sample development, cost negotiations, and quality assurance requirements as well, as checking. Periodically attend trade shows as needed. Manage all details of travel planning and manage to an annual budget established with Senior Management
• Manage cross-functional partnerships tactfully with stakeholders in development process. Work with Design team to ensure designs are meeting buyer objectives and feasible from a manufacturing/costing standpoint. Partner with Packaging team in order to properly cost, market, and merchandise product with in retail environment
• Approve all pre-production and production samples. Organize samples throughout development process with team to ensure we maintain a pre-production and production samples
• Regularly review sales performance of assortment and proactively recommend any modifications/strategy changes as needed
• Prepare placement summaries by country and by vendor indicating first cost, landed cost, retail and mark up annually and project with buyer next year’s business opportunities. Build annual projections and track performance to original projections
• Manage interpersonal vertical relationships, reporting into the Director of PD as well as supervise Associate Product Manager role. Set clear expectations for staff and work to achieve identified goals
• At least 3-5 years previous related experience
• Excellent communication (verbal and written), time management, and negotiation skills
• Ability to problem-solve, manage projects and timelines, and complete in-depth analysis to recommend best decision
• Highly motivated self-starter able to work in a fast-paced retail environment. Flexible, positive attitude. Pro-active nature and ability to act with a sense of urgency and attention for detail
• Excellent PC and retail math skills
All Candidates must be able to provide work related references.
If you're a candidate and would like to submit your confidential resume, please use firstname.lastname@example.org. We will contact you if your qualifications match any of our current job searches.